Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zip this baby!

Right...so, this is my first attempt at blogging. I have friends that do it - I am noisy...I read their blogs and think, "wow - that is funny or interesting" but now the tables are turned. I have decided to embark on this blogging idea - not so much for everyone else, but rather for myself; some type of therapeutic exercise or something like that...hmm...so - where do I begin?

Officially July 6th forever changed me and those around me - so we could begin then. Ultimately July 31st truly changed me...July 31st I underwent open heart surgery...at 31...life can suck sometimes, eh? The good news is that things could not have gone better - I had a fantastic cardiologist, an unbelievable surgeon and an incredible support system - simply put, I am lucky in so many ways.

I had the surgery on the 31st and was home by the 4th of August - so now I have time...LOTS OF IT and thought that perhaps I could write a blog and give the true 'low down' on open heart surgery in your 30's...not that I am an expert, but let's just say I can proudly exclaim the phrase, "been there, done that, and have the scar to prove it!" I plan on writing about my experience, honestly and openly....believe me, when you are faced with such a major obstacle, it is good to hear different perspectives. I will talk openly about my fears, anxieties, recovery, good and bad times - I need to do this, not just for myself, but for other 30, 40 or 50 some year olds who are racking their brain trying to answer 'why me' or 'what did I do to deserve this?.'

Bottom line is this: no one deserves a lot of the crap that life surprises us with at times, but you know what, according to the lovely Natalie Merchant, "life is sweet, inspite of the misery, there's so much more to be grateful!" It is my intent to express that in this blog - although there will be some crappy blogs, ultimately there is so much to be grateful for.

So - in a nutshell - the title of my blog, "Zip This!" clearly describes the lovely scar you obtain from this crazy journey - let's give this blog thing a go....zip this baby!

3 comments:

  1. Excellent first post!!
    You have a lot more class then the chicks!
    We will keep checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to reading your blog! Didn't realize you had surgery- glad you are doing better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. TC - thanks for joining as a follower..I feel so special...your blog is much better than this one!

    Meg - thanks for the comment. Not many knew of the surgery...kept it private (except for fam, work, etc.) - all is well...I am very lucky and very thankful!

    ReplyDelete